So banana fritters. One of my favorites. Really anything in fritter form I love. I grew up with this sweet treat being prepared when we had some ripe bananas sitting around and had to get rid of them before they spoiled. In most homes they end up as banana bread, for Jamaicans, they end up as banana fritters.
They are not always eaten as a stack like in the above photo but to me they seem like pancakes so I eat them like pancakes. Though they are much sweeter. Top with a bit of powdered sugar or homemade whipped cream and you are in heaven.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 whole nutmag, grounded
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- oil for frying
- Crush the bananas. I use a potato masher but a fork works as well.
- Combine the mashed banana with sugar.
- Beat the eggs and add to mixture along with grounded nutmeg and vanilla.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl then add to main mixture.
- Add a few pinches of salt to mixture and combine everything.
- Lightly cover the pan with vegetable oil over a high medium heat.
- When pan is hot add 1/4 cup of the mixture to make individual fritters. When both sides are golden remove fritters from pan and lay on a paper towel to remove the oil.
- Top the fritters with powdered sugar and serve (though they are delicious on their own if you don’t have any).